So for quite a while now we've been trying to figure out how to best bring the full Tape Op print magazine into the digital era, and we've think we've settled on some sort of mobile app..but we'd really like your input before committing to one direction or another.

We know life is busy enough as it is, but if you have a moment and you'd like to put your two cents in on this issue(fave platform, fave existing reader app, etc) please click the link below to take a short poll and tell us what you think. It will definitely influence what we end up doing!

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK

· Jan. 7, 2012
We'll be wandering around the giant halls of the NAMM Show in Anaheim, CA, Jan 19-22 (National Association of Music Merchants). It's not open to the public, but most music gearhead types can usually find a way in! It's pretty crazy to see what people...
· Feb. 20, 2011
Creating Community - A Regional Audio Industry Gathering On Saturday March 5, Recording Arts & Technology (RAT) @ Cuyahoga Community College will host a Regional Audio Recording Industry Gathering and Open House from 4-10pm at the new...
· July 23, 2014
Lately we've been really appreciating companies who make simpler, more focused digital tools that concentrate on doing one thing really well, and Harrison's Mixbus definitely fits this bill. If you don't know Harrison, they are best known for their...
· Feb. 27, 2013
Larry Crane created and is hosting a panel for SXSW "How to Stretch Your Recording Budget" with: Dan Workman, Adrian Quesda, Erik Wofford, John Congleton, Larry Crane Friday, March 15 - 3:30PM - 4:30PM...
Sun, Dec 21, 2014 - 6:35PM
Add your two cents to the discussion below:

Wed, Feb 1, 2012 - 1:01PM
Hacksaw said about this:

Unless there is a thing you want to do that is beyond the capability of HTML and CSS, please just make a good mobile site. Special apps to read a magazine are an irritation.

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 - 1:08AM
Scotty Hughes said about this:

I use an Apple iPod Touch - I would really enjoy a digital subscription of the magazine. Also, is there a possibility your mag could be posted online, as Premier Guitar Magazine does? Thanks so much for a very informative publication.

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 - 1:30AM
michael salmon said about this:

we should talk, i head up the verizon wireless app innovation group in vzw and have subscribed to your pub. for awhile. happy to talk. my team focuses on mobile apps & tech r&d in san fran.

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 - 8:42AM
Al Casey said about this:

I think that it would be great to have it available at anytime.

Fri, Feb 3, 2012 - 3:07PM
Craig said about this:

Though it may seem obvious, make sure it works with iPad. Apps are cool. If you are looking for more of a electronic reader format, check out the "newsstand" capabilities with the iPad.

Sun, Feb 5, 2012 - 3:44AM
Neil Fein said about this:

I agree with hacksaw, a good mobile site would make much more sense than an app.

Sun, Feb 5, 2012 - 9:22AM
Michael E. said about this:

Please consider an Android App. Thanks

Mon, Feb 6, 2012 - 2:25PM
chrometop said about this:

gotta go with hacksaw, a good mobile site makes the most sense. also if you gotta do an app please make an android and ios version. you have the best recording mag / info available. i read religiously cover to cover.

Tue, Feb 7, 2012 - 1:15AM
Igor Len said about this:

Roland US/UK just came out with the iPad version of their Roland Users Group magazine, that was a publication and successful at that. Soon, it will be distributed through the Newsstand feature of the iTunes. Considering it was printed originally, is music instrument industry related and does a great job - I thought to share the link. It is free, of course :
If you will find a few good ideas, its already worth the download :-)

Mon, Feb 13, 2012 - 10:34AM
Max said about this:

iPhone would be brilliant. Had an android, hated it.
But maybe mobile site is easier?

Mon, Feb 13, 2012 - 4:38PM
jt said about this:

I use the kindle fire for my reading and would like it available for the kindle fire.

Thu, Feb 16, 2012 - 8:02PM
Roger said about this:

Having an iPod Touch I don't have the processing power of an iPad, so an app/mobile site that's compatible to the lowest iOS platform would be ideal. The forums I feel would be most beneficial in a mobile sized format, but a full out magazine would be pretty cool in itself. So long as it's not bloated down with videos and annoying banner ads it shouldn't suck on too much cpu power. The gearslutz forum app is a nice example to follow.

Thu, Feb 23, 2012 - 4:04AM
Tim said about this:

I believe, based on where the trends are heading, having a mobile app makes sense only if you are using specific hardware features of the mobile device that are otherwise unavailable through HTML5, like camera, mic, etc. In your case, designing the site with "responsive design" to accomodate most devices (not an easy task, but doable), is the best approach. User experience, is the key factor here.
With that said, your hardcopy magazine always had a unique charm and style, which I always loved. It will be easy to lose that moving to digital.

Thu, Feb 23, 2012 - 8:45PM
Brian said about this:

I thought of TapeOp when I read an article on CNET today called "Under the hood: HTML5 or native? A guide". It's written by the guy who does web sites/apps at CBS and has useful information. Here's the link:

Fri, Feb 24, 2012 - 2:30PM
Billy said about this:

It would be cool to be able to bookmark articles to read later on the app such as the DIY sections.

Wed, Feb 29, 2012 - 7:23PM
Snake said about this:

Great idea. I work in digital research and released around 20 of apps last year year. FWIW, I recommend that you follow the path of iOS (sorry droids). Also shoot for the iPad as the goal but keep it compatible with the iTouch and iPhones. I am happy to share some best practices if you would like... Also, app development can be kind of expensive, but maybe a Tape Oper can help with development? I can envision some really creative executions... Oh yeah, keep in mind that Apple has to review and approve all Apps before they are released into the iTunes App store. If you have any contacts there, it would be worth reaching out for additional insights. Thanks.

Fri, Mar 2, 2012 - 9:12AM
Javi Guerra said about this:

I agree with Michael E. from Sunday, 2/5. It seems like alot of cool music aps give Apple the priority, while Android tends to get sidelined. I've been reading your magazine since issue one and I'm super excited to be able to carry it around in my pocket.

Fri, Mar 2, 2012 - 1:42PM
Mike K said about this:

I would like to see a mobile site, or apps that would support both Android and Apple (so nobody gets their feelings hurt...).

Btw, for Kindle Fire I like to use the "printFriendly" link already provided on the site - makes great PDFs for reading on the plane!

Fri, Mar 2, 2012 - 4:48PM
AJ said about this:

Unless you need features that go beyond what is available through the browser on most mobile devices HTML 5 should do a great job and allow you to avoid having to create it for multiple platforms or leave people out if they don't have an iOS device. If it doesn't need location services, alerts etc and just needs to deliver text and multimedia it would be a huge win to keep it HTML 5/browser based.. even if doing it for iOS would seem like more fun..

Tue, Mar 6, 2012 - 9:32AM
David M said about this:

I skimmed the comments... I have been waiting for a year! :-) That's ok I'll renew my paper sub again... but I am excited for this.
I agree with the "Please don't drink the Apple Kool-Aid" sentiment. Choose something that is cross platform. I am a huge fan of Zinio. I have no idea what the business model looks like but I love reading magazines on Zinio.

Sun, Mar 18, 2012 - 1:57PM
John Hardie said about this:

I moved my Guitar Player and Guitar World subscriptions to digital this year. It's better for two reasons:
(1) you can go directly to product websites.
(2) if you like to keep back issues you can, without them taking up space.
Go for it!

Mon, Mar 19, 2012 - 8:18PM
Costa said about this:

I think having it in the ebook format would be best. Where you can flip pages, bookmark pages, highlight words to remember for later or make notes. I agree with one of the comments though. Don't make it an actual app like some of the subscription ones. They are annoying.

Mon, Jun 4, 2012 - 4:47PM
Brandon Baker said about this:

If you made a NEWSSTAND (iPad/iPhone) free subscription of the existing magazine, that would be magnificent and perfect. But if you end up going with something cross platform, a PDF would even be nice. That way I can read it in iBooks. =)

Mon, Jun 25, 2012 - 8:37PM
Manix said about this:

Make the app already! It's been 5 months since you guys posted this damn survey.

Sat, Jul 7, 2012 - 7:58AM
KC said about this:

An iPad Newsstand edition would make me a subscriber of your fine magazine.

Mon, Oct 8, 2012 - 6:00PM
GeorgeTheSoundGuy said about this:

Is an app/mobile site still in the works? The last post I saw about this dates back to July.
Hoping to see a digital format of Tape Op sooner rather than later :)

Sun, Oct 14, 2012 - 9:09AM
Justin said about this:

Hey George, in reference to your comment above:

Mon, Jul 8, 2013 - 7:44AM
Andi PIcker said about this:

Any update on the Android App?

Wed, Jan 1, 2014 - 10:06PM
Eric said about this:

Yes I always book mark good websites.. Not that I have time to read it later? Sometimes not for a year or so? But for more interactivity.. An app would be advantageous for you.. For readers .. I still get the paper editions.. Love them.. But path of least resistance is always good for the reader.. Bit as a business and more interactions.. Aka real time chat discussions little more real time replys to questions, product sponsorship or real time chat from the sponsors.. He'll they will cover cost.. Just a little more head development time,. As websites I would think need more constant upkeep.. An app would not be much more, except an extra sponsor to front couple dollars, and head time development. or pass it to the .99 c purchase on iTunes.. Always reasonable.. Have dne with many apps I bought and do not use. Keep up the good work. E3

Wed, Mar 5, 2014 - 3:30PM
Martin Defatte said about this:

Your money is probably better spent building a good/better mobile site. App development is costly, and if you want to be on more than one platform (Apple, Google or whatever else there is) you'll have to pay to have it developed and recompiled for that other platform.

I'd much rather see a more robust website. A properly responsive website will serve you better, and will work on more devices for less money.